Sunday, September 23, 2012

MAC vs PC

MEMES
The jokes/message that is being portrayed here is that Windows was made by baboons and that Windows is a virus, you can obviously tell which side I am on of the debate. I saw these and they made me drop dead laughing! You need to know that for those that are hardcore fans of each platform, there is a silent battle being waged. In which, both sides have fanatics and use digital media to cut each platform down. Whenever each side has a victory or a loss, there is always new jokes, articles to capitalize on each victory/loss. Obviously, one of the purposes to these memes is for fun, but I think that visual messages have power. For example, the baboons on the computer is kind of powerful to me because whoever made it is communicating strongly what he thinks of Windows using imagery. I don't think that a message like that wouldn't be as powerful without the use of some sort of image.



FAN ART
Not a whole lot of skill went into making this fan art below. I could probably whip this up in a couple of minutes using Pages or a similar program. Manovich explains that through the use of compositing, selection, templates, etc., in a post industrial society we have gravitated towards mass production and automation. Of the which, we can use pre-existing images, videos, and rearrange them or composite them together to make one new identity in a relative short time. If I were to create this image from scratch in a Romantic point of view, I would have to get the mac take a pic of it, get the dell and take a pic of it and then blend them together. But, the point is that there is so much pre-existing content out there we can make use of it and implement them in a new way, not everything has to be made from scratch anymore.




                         

5 comments:

  1. Haha, I love the Windows 7 burn from the Apple guy. And you're right the fan art could a leave a little bit more to the imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kory,

    I was just commenting on Dani's memes and she posted a Wonka meme and it reminded me of a good one that goes with your project. Someone created it right after the iPhone 4S came out and Siri was the new thing. I know it isn't really Mac vs. PC, but they kind of spill over in to the world of Mac phones vs "PC" phones. Enjoy:

    http://chzautocowrecks.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/mobile-phone-texting-autocorrect-mine-can-sing.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  3. so, i commented to brady and was comparing the memes and fan art of his topic to stephanie's. it had me thinking about why, depending on the topic, some memes and f.a. make me laugh and appreciate it, while others are (to me) annoying and senseless. is it JUST the subject or material that makes the difference as to whether an individual is drawn to a given meme or not? i didn't laugh out loud at your memes, kory, but i did chuckle out loud. i find the debate and rivalry between macs and pcs to be hilarious- even though i'm not a big computer person and don't REALLY care which i use or which company is doing better. is it because i think these memes are more clever? or because i think YOUR topic is more relevant/important- even though i wouldn't say i'm necessarily "in the loop"?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like where you're going with this Dani. In class talked about whether memes are silly and a waste of time or whether they are a good representation of our culture. I mean...sure Channing Tatum, Pride and Prejudice, and Rubik's Cubes are RECOGNIZED in our culture, but are they a big enough part of it??? This has got some thoughts running for me.....

    ReplyDelete