Monday, September 24, 2012

Rubik's Cube Memes and Fan Art

Soooo, this used to me when I tried solving das cube, and feel like it represents anyone who has ever touched this six-sided demon.

I spent an entire weekend trying to learn how to solve the cube, and I had a couple of moments like this one.

This one was just a nice use of meme comic faces
I literally LOL'd when I first saw this one. It epitomized the struggle teenage boys have been trying to overcome since reaching their pubescence. So funny.

Finally, this was supposed to be a jab at blonde jokes--cube style--but I think it falls in to the teenage boy demographic yet again...

FAN ART:

3 comments:

  1. I honestly never thought that there was so much Rubik's cube stuff. The fan art is great with the reinventing famous or religious paintings with Rubik's cube culture. It show, I think, how we can make something old new again with stuff from our time and recreate something from another time. Nice! I used to think of making something old new again as restoring it, like restoring a beat up mustang to make it new again. But, I think taking this class has given me a whole new spin on that definition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the rubik's cube seems to be culturally relevant in a cooler way than say, channing tatum or pride and prejudice. some of the fan art especially differs from the sort made in honor of channing; there's a much higher technological and skill level being used. i'm sorry to continue comparing things to channing tatum, but- it's interesting to me how things to do with him seem empty, annoying and brainless. i mean, he's hot, and he's been in movies- but isn't that all there is to it? with the rubik's cube, there's a lot more context and things that seem to "matter" more. there's history, puzzle-solving/intelligence skills tied to it, and a greater relevance to meaningful culture (in my opinion anyway).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you made this observation Dani! I agree...the Rubik's cube is way more advanced and developed. But that's what's so interesting. The memes and fan arts about it are demeaning the importance of these things in our society. They mock its difficulty and suggest it's not worth it. What the hell...let's just paint the damn thing!!! And yet, there seems to be so much more on silly celebrities who are brainless, bad actors, and sexy. What has our society come to?!?!?!?!? I mean really???? has it come to this?

    ReplyDelete